- Be the voice. Animals that are being abused cannot speak for themselves. They need YOU to be their advocate. Don’t be afraid to call the authorities if you suspect an animal is being abused or neglected. And don’t wait – they need your help today! Tomorrow could be too late.
- Support your local shelter and rescues. As I said above, shelter workers and rescues can’t do it all. They need YOUR help. There are many ways to show your support. Monetary donations, volunteering a few hours a month, and donations of food, blankets, toys, and cleaning supplies are just a few ideas of ways you can lend a hand.
- Be a shining example of a responsible pet owner. Make sure your pets are always up-to-date on vaccinations, spayed or neutered, and properly restrained in public. Clean up after them on walks, and don’t leave them alone in a car on a warm day. You’d be surprised what an impression you can make when you simply do the right thing.
- Teach your children to love animals. The best way to prevent future abuse is to make sure our children love and respect animals. Show your kids how to be loving, responsible pet owners. And if you don’t have pets, you can still educate your children to be kind-hearted and respectful to animals. Just like with other things, our kids learn so much of their behavior from us.
- Be thoughtful about your food choices. I’m not asking you to become a vegetarian. But we have the power to make a difference in the lives of farm animals when we choose wisely. Avoid meats, milk, and eggs from “factory farms”. Know which food manufacturers practice cruel and inhumane acts. Choose restaurants that use cruelty-free products. Yes, it takes some planning and a little research, but if you really want to help fight animal cruelty, it’s worth it.
We love for you to share our posts with your friends by using the sharing buttons below, but copying and pasting them to your own site and then claiming them as your own is stealing, and we don’t like that. For more information, please see our Copyright policy.
Never miss a thing! Fetch our new posts directly from your inbox by clicking here to subscribe to our email updates!