Animal Shelters Kill Puppies, Too

Since I became a pet blogger a year ago, one thing has become painfully clear: The general public is completely ignorant of the way that animal shelters truly work. Let me explain.

The gorgeous fella above is NUKKIE. Only 7 months old, Nukkie died earlier this week in a New York City shelter because no one came for him.

In a nutshell, it’s most accurate to say that Nukkie died because there are more homeless animals in shelters than there are homes for them.

And yet, so many people are shocked to learn that a shelter would actually euthanize a 7 month old pup.

“They don’t kill puppies,” one person recently told me. “They’re always able to find homes for pups and kittens. It’s just the older, less ‘adoptable’ animals that are put to sleep.”

Are you freaking kidding me? If you’re stupid enough to believe that, let me tell you about some beautiful oceanfront property I own in Arizona.

This kind of ignorance is the exact reason why 3-4 million animals are euthanized in US shelters every single year.

{Well, this ignorance and the fact that so many people refuse to be responsible and spay or neuter their pets… but that’s a post for another day.}

The cold, hard truth is that shelters do euthanize puppies and kittens, regardless of age. I’ve known of situations where day-old puppies were killed. I’ve also seen cases where pregnant mothers were killed.

Yes, it really happens.

So the next time you {or someone you know} are irresponsible enough to let your unaltered pet produce a litter of pups {or kittens}, please don’t be ignorant enough to think, “Oh well, I’ll just let the pound find homes for them.” Because it very likely won’t end that way.

Please, spay and neuter your pets.

If your pet has an accidental litter, do the right thing and find safe, loving homes for the babies. Be selective about who you allow to adopt. Don’t give them away “free to a good home” on Craigslist {again, a post for another day}.

Take responsibility for yourself and your pet. Do the right thing. Don’t dump unwanted babies at a shelter and expect someone else to make it right.

My Facebook page is dedicated to saving shelter dogs through social networking, a practice that has been proven to work. But it only works when YOU get involved. It only works when YOU are willing to open your heart and “share” shelter animals on your Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and other social media accounts.

Make 2013 the year you make a difference. Pledge to share at least one shelter pet per day, knowing that every single “share” is one more chance that animal has of being saved.

Are you networking shelter animals? If you are, I’d love for you to leave a link to your page below in comments. And if you’re not, I’d love to hear your excuse for turning a blind eye to the horrible truth in our nation’s shelter system.

We hope you enjoyed this article, and we’d love for you to use the buttons below to share on your favorite social media networks. However, re-posting this content on your own blog or website is strictly prohibited. Please don’t do it. For more information, please see our Copyright policy.

Christina Berry

Wife, Mom, Social Media Manager, Pit Bull advocate, lifestyle blogger, movie lover, scatterbrain. Founder of Indy Social Media Moms. Lover of cotton candy, boy bands, daisies, all things Paris, Audrey Hepburn, and Key West. Blogging for a cause at The Lazy Pit Bull, and for fun at From The Berry Patch.

Latest posts by Christina Berry (see all)

Comments

1. says

Thank you so much for writing this blog I always share it on my Fb page, there are so many uniformed people out there, the truth is sad but people need to know.

2. dlhvaughn says

Excellent post and so profoundly true. Happy to say that I’m “sharing” into oblivion via Facbook, Twitter, and Pinterest. I’ve even lost a few “friends” over it. Thanks for all you do, you’re doing a fabulous job!

3. says

actually Nathan Winograd says that there ARE enough homes, but that many shelters management/employees are too lazy and unwilling to change from being killing factories. In his Just One Day in June campaign and his NoKill Advocacy, he has been helping shelters CHANGE. He’s got a model that WORKS… when shelters engage with the community, rescues, put on adoption events, and COMMIT/INTEND to get animals adopted, the kill rates go WAY DOWN. In 2012, over one new community per week achieved a save rate of at least 90% and as high as 99%. http://www.nathanwinograd.com/?page_id=166 When I was hired as the director of the animal shelter in Tompkins County, New York, neither I nor anyone else had an idea exactly what percentage of animals entering shelters could be saved. National organizations, like the Humane Society of the United States, the ASPCA and the American Humane Association, which claimed to be leading the humane movement weren’t interested in figuring that out, content as they were to excuse shelter killing under the myth that were simply too many animals, not enough homes. Why? http://www.nathanwinograd.com/?p=11569

4. says

Thank you! I appreciate your support! Those “friends” who bail because you post too many shelter animals, in my opinion, are not true friends. If you find something that you’re passionate about – like saving shelter dogs – true friends should support and encourage you! Keep up the good work!

5. says

Celia, Nathan Winograd’s theory doesn’t hold water if you take into consideration all of the no-kill and low-kill shelters that are bursting at the seams. If it were as simple as shelters “getting onboard” with the no-kill mindset, all the cages in these shelters would be empty. But that is simply not the case.

There are two excellent shelters in my area, both low-kill and active in the community with adoption events, networking, etc. They’re doing everything they can to get each and every animal adopted into a home. But still, the cages are full. There are animals that have been there for months, years even. And that’s because even when a shelter is doing everything right, people still have to show up everyday, wanting to adopt an animal.

Which brings us back to my point – there are more homeless animals than there are people who want to adopt them.

it simply cannot be denied that when our shelters are already at capacity, there is absolutely no excuse for breeders to keep breeding and people to keep carelessly letting their unaltered animals produce more litters. The NEED for shelters ~ no-kill, low-kill, high-kill alike ~ would be greatly diminished if people would start acting responsibly when it comes to spaying and neutering. THAT is the point of this post.

6. Anonymous says

It’s true. I just adopted a dog that is 6-7 months old. We found him at a PetSmart adoption event. I was told he wasn’t going to make it out if he went backup the shelter.

7. says

I don’t have a page for sharing, but i try to do what i can by sharing on my personal Facebook page. There are times i think some people feel i post too much about dogs, but really, who’s going to help them? The reality about shelters is heartbreaking. I wish more people would realize that. I really appreciate what you’re doing. I know how it feels to be so passionate about helping and doing your share only to see people choosing to be ignorant and refusing to get involved. I just discovered your blog and Facebook page today. I am definitely a follower.

More power to you and hugs to your fur babies!

8. Stephanie says

This Blog Is So True And I Wish More People Would Think Like This.
    I’ll Be Posting More Of Your Blogs On My Facebook :0)

9. Sandi says

While I agree with what you wrote and as a vet tech I have dealt with shelters and rescues in my area. I believe in some cases the rescues and shelters are creating their own problems….let me explain…..I have been looking for a family dog. I never buy, I always adopt. Any dog or cat I’ve had came from a shelter. I now live on a 10 acre farm and I have no fenced in yard. So here I am experienced pet owner and vet tech I keep my animals until they pass away, I have excellent vet references and I can’t get a rescue to adopt to me because I have no fenced in yard. I believe, in some cases, their rules are unnecessarily strict. I know they strive to make good matches so these dogs will have forever homes. But they act as if they are adopting children and not pets. Don’t get me wrong, my animals get the best care and are treated like family and I believe all should be family members but maybe if they relax the rules a bit they would find more people coming out to adopt. Just my opinion.

10. Shelly says

I don’t have a website in which to share from but I have my own personal facebook and I do share as many animals as I see posted. This whole situation is heartbreaking to me. I love animals and I wish I could take them all. I have come to realize over the years that owning a dog is a great thing and my dogs have given me more love and devotion than most people. Owning a dog, as wonderful as it is is a huge responsibility, especially if you take it seriously. There’s the vet costs and then just the every day care involved, much like having a child. And if you aren’t ready to have a child you probably shouldn’t have a dog either. I can’t believe how freely people throw their dogs away when they decide they don’t want the responsibility and if this is a sign of where our society is going as a whole, it’s not a good thing.