If you’ve ever had to give a pill to your dog or cat, you know it can be quite a tricky endeavor. Over the years, I’ve hidden pills inside little pieces of cheese, bananas, and even a spoonful of peanut butter, and while those tricks work, they’re not always convenient.
Nike takes medicine every day for her allergies, and while Greenies pill pockets work just fine, they can get pricey when used every day. So when I found this recipe for DIY pill pockets for pets, I was pretty excited and couldn’t wait to try it.
This is a super simple recipe that takes just a few minutes to prepare, and it’s made with ingredients I trust.
But how do they taste, you might wonder. Well, if my dogs are any indication, I’d say they’re pretty dang delicious. Both Nike and Georgie love these little pill pockets, and no one complains when it’s time to take their medicine.
- 1 T Crunchy Peanut Butter
- 1 T Coconut Oil
- 2 T Flour + some for reserve
- Mix all ingredients together in large bowl to create dough.
- Roll the dough into 1 inch balls.
- Sprinkle 1 to 2 T of flour onto wax paper and then roll each dough ball in the flour.
- Use the eraser end of a pencil to push a small hole in the center of each dough ball (not all the way through, only about 1/2 way)
- Place dough balls on a tray in the freezer for about an hour so they retain their form.
- You can then place the dough balls, which are now pill pockets, in a baggie and keep them in the fridge until you're ready to use.
- Pill pockets will keep for up to 3 months when refrigerated.
By the way, have you downloaded our free pet recipe card? It’s perfect for jotting down your favorite pet recipes! Just click here to grab yours now!
Does your pet take medication on a regular basis?
If so, these DIY pill pockets might be just what you’re looking for to make medicine time just a little bit simpler and more delicious.
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one and then make a purchase, we may receive a teeny tiny commission at no additional cost to you. Of course you are never obligated to make your purchase using our links but when you do, an amazing thing happens: you get something super awesome and we make a little pocket change. We call that a win-win!