Dogs love to chew. If you live with a dog, that doesn’t come as news to you, and it’s likely you’ve experienced your share of chewed up shoes, electrical cords, and heaven knows what else.
But the problem can be finding good things to give our dogs to appease their need to chew. Rawhide chews can be dangerous, and so can a lot of so-called “chew toys”. And dogs that are powerful chewers, like our Nike Jayne, can destroy most any toy in 5 minutes flat anyway.
So what’s a dog mom (or dad) to do?
A few years ago, I found this recipe for DIY sweet potato chews for dogs, and I have to be honest: they are awesome. They are so super easy to make, and they require only 2 ingredients. And the best part is, my dogs absolutely love them and will beg for more.
Sweet potatoes are considered a “super food”, and they are packed full of good stuff like Vitamins A, C, and B6, and beta carotene. They contain antioxidants that may aid in healing, preventing cancer, and might even fight the effects of aging.
Of course, your dog won’t care about any of that stuff. All that matters to her is how they taste.
According to my dogs, they’re drool-worthy and delicious. I love that my dogs go crazy over them, as well as the fact that they’re so easy and inexpensive to make. So much cheaper than traditional dog treats, and they’re so wholesome. Just check out the recipe below.
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 1 T cinnamon
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat oven to 275 F.
- Wash and dry sweet potatoes, then slice potatoes 1/3 inch to 1/2 inch thick.
- Place the sliced potatoes on baking sheet and sprinkle lightly with cinnamon.
- Bake for 6 hours.
- After 6 hours, turn off your oven and leave them in the oven as it cools.
- Potatoes will have shrunk significantly (which is why you want the thick cuts) and should be nice and chewy.
- Store sweet potato chews in a ziplock bag or plastic container for up to 2 weeks.
As you can see, it doesn’t get much easier than this, and you’ll have the peace of mind of knowing that your dog is getting a special treat that’s made with good ingredients. Trust me, you’ll have a happy dog on your hands!
Have you ever made sweet potato chews for your dog?
By the way, be sure to download our totally free, totally awesome editable recipe card! Just open it on your computer, type in the recipe, then print! Use it over and over again to keep track of all your dog’s favorite recipes!