Y’all, I’m just going to admit it: both of my dogs are extremely food-motivated. Offer either of them a treat, and they’ll do just about anything you ask.
But because we go through so many treats during training sessions, not long ago I began to question the wholesomeness of the treats we were using. Sure, the dogs love them, but are they made with quality ingredients? Are they both good tasting and healthy for my girls?
That’s when I decided that maybe the best way to go was to simply come up with my own recipe for DIY training treats for my dogs.
As I’ve written many times, I’m extremely conscious of the quality of food and treats that my pets eat. I am very aware of where the foods are manufactured, as well as where the ingredients come from, and I’ve learned that the best way to know for sure what my dogs are eating is to simply make it myself.
Lucky for me, a friend shared this very simple recipe for training treats, and I whipped up a batch to see what my dogs would think. They were eager taste-testers who quickly let me know that these treats were totally acceptable.
Trust me, if your dogs are anything like mine, they’ll love them. In fact, even our cat Snickers gets in on the action and will “sit pretty” for one of these treats. They are seriously a big hit for all the 4-legged family members at our house.
- 1.5 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 5-ounce cans of tuna in water, drained
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender and mix until almost pureed.
- Grease an 8x8 baking dish and pour treat mixture into pan.
- Using a spatula, press mixture firmly into pan and bake for 25 minutes.
- After cooling, cut into small pieces and store in your refrigerator until until ready to use.
- Treats will keep for 30 days in the fridge, or 90 days in the freezer.
What kind of treats do you use for training with your dog? Would you be willing to try some homemade training treats? If you do, I’d love for you to leave a comment and let me know how your pets like them!