May is National Water Safety Month, which makes it a great time to talk about ways to keep our dogs safe around water during the warm summer months.
If you’re like many pet parents, you’re likely to take your dogs to the pool or lake, or maybe even on a beach vacation. Perhaps you have a pool at home. No matter where you and your mutt spend time together on the water, take a look at these 5 summer water safety tips for dogs to help you prepare for safe summer fun.
- Know if your dog can swim. A lot of people just naturally assume that all dogs can swim, but this is not the case. Know for sure, and don’t take any chances. Even if your dog can swim, she might not be a strong swimmer, and the best way to protect her pet is a life jacket specifically made for dogs.
- Wait 30 minutes. Remember how Mom used to tell you not to swim for 30 minutes before or after eating? The same is true for our dogs. Your dog is just as likely as you are to cramp up in the water too soon after eating. Better to be safe than sorry.
- Don’t drink the water. When you’re at the beach or on the lake, don’t let your dog drink the water because it can make her sick. Be sure to bring along lots of fresh water to keep her hydrated in the summer heat.
- Fence it in. If you have a pool at home, make sure it’s fenced in so that your dog can’t access the area when you’re not with her. In the event that she might go into the pool unsupervised, teach her how to get out on her own.
- Never leave your dog alone. Again, even if your dog is a fantastic swimmer, she’s never going to be safe in the water if you’re not very close by.
One other thing that I highly recommend, whether your dog is around water or not, is creating a pet first-aid kit. Also, consider taking a pet first-aid class. When it comes to protecting your pet, you can never be too prepared.
What tips do you have for keeping your dog safe around water? I’d love for you to share them with me in a comment below.
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one and then make a purchase, we may receive a teeny tiny commission at no additional cost to you. Of course you are never obligation to make your purchase using our links but when you do, an amazing thing happens: you get something super awesome and we make a little pocket change. We call that a win-win!