I’m always looking for fun, beautiful, and functional dog-friendly items for my home. Recently when I couldn’t find a treat jar that I really loved, the simple answer was to create my own. And now, I want to show you how to do it, too.
The supply list for this project is very short, and most items can be found at your local craft store:
- Glass jar with metal lid
- Dog figurine of your choice (that’s an affiliate link) – I’ve found that plastic seems to work best
- Spray paint in your choice of color and coverage
- Hot glue and glue gun
- Your mutt’s favorite treats
Just follow these simple directions:
- Begin by placing the lid only and the dog figure on some scrap paper such as newspaper.
- Apply two coats of spray paint, allowing the coats to dry thoroughly between applications.
- When the paint is dry (wait at least one hour), apply some glue to the bottom of the dog’s feet. Press to the top of the lid and hold in place until dry and secure.
- Fill the jar with your dog’s favorite treats – maybe our peanut butter & apple sauce cookies! – and secure the lid back in place.
These jars are so simple to create, and they make adorable gifts for your pet-loving friends and family. I think the red lid makes this a wonderful Valentine’s Day present, and you can make these appropriate for any occasion simply by the paint color you choose. You can also add a pretty colorful ribbon to make it even more festive.
If you decide to do this project to create your own doggy treat jar, please share a photo with us over on our Facebook page!