Hey dog moms! Are you looking for a fun and simple DIY project to do with your mutt this holiday season? I’ve got a great one for you, and I can’t wait to tell you about it!
I love an quaint Christmas tree with old-fashioned ornaments and handmade keepsakes, and that’s exactly what you’ll get with this DIY paw print ornament. It’s guaranteed to bring a smile to your face every year when you decorate your tree, and you’ll always be glad to have such a sweet reminder of your mutt.
To create your own little keepsake this holiday season, just follow the easy-peasy instructions below. I promise, even if your pet is a little less than cooperative during the process, it’ll be worth it in the end.
Fun & Simple DIY Paw Print Ornament
1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup water
A drinking straw
A round cookie cutter (a drinking glass will work if you don’t have a cookie cutter on hand)
Acrylic paint(s) and brush
Pretty ribbon in your choice of color
1) Preheat oven to 200 degrees F; mix the flour, salt, and water together in a bowl.
2) When the ingredients are thoroughly combined, use your hands and knead to incorporate the crumbly pieces.
3) Lay out the dough on a flat surface. Using a rolling pin, roll out to about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.
4) Cut out desired shape with a cookie cutter or drinking glass, keeping in mind the size of your dog’s paw needs to fit within the shape.
5) Gently press your pup’s paw into the center of the cut-out dough to make a print.
6) Poke a hole at the top center of the dough using a drinking straw. Do this BEFORE you bake!
7) Bake on a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet for 2 hours at 200 degrees F.
8) Cool completely, then paint your ornament as desired and thread the ribbon through the hole.
As you can see, this is a pretty simple little project that can easily be done on a Saturday afternoon with your dog, and you’ll make memories that will last a lifetime!
Have you ever made a DIY paw print ornament with your dog? Tell me about it in a comment below or better yet, share a photo over on my Facebook page!