This year for the holidays, will you be traveling to visit family and friends? If you said yes, let me ask you another question: will the family dog be joining you on the trip?
Statistics tell us that more people travel for Christmas than for any other holiday, and the majority do so by car, making it super simple to bring your 4-legged family members along for the ride. A successful trip requires a little planning, which is why we’re offering some helpful tips for holiday travel with dogs. Take a look at this awesome infographic from our friends at Kurgo, and then we’ll chat some more below.
- Put together a travel kit for your dog. Many of the things you can include will make the drive easier and more comfortable for your dog, and some of them will make her stay at the destination even better.
- Be sure to keep dangerous holiday goodies out of your dog’s reach while in the car and at the destination. Some of these things include poison plants like poinsettias, choking hazards like wrapping paper and ribbon, and toxic foods like chocolate and raisins.
- Consider using a harness to restrain your dog inside your car. We use one with Miss Nike, and she does just fine with it. While wearing it, we know she’s safe while we travel, and she’s still able to nap comfortably, look out the window at the passing world, and join in family sing-a-longs.
- We’re also big fans of Kurgo’s car seat covers for traveling. We’ve got one in both of our cars, and they’re great for protecting the interior from muddy paws, dog hair, and the occasional unmentionable accident. Check out this post for all the reasons why using a car seat cover is a good idea.
- Always, always, always keep your pet in the back seat. Not only is she much safer there, but she’s far less likely to cause you to become distracted. In 2009, almost half a million people were injured in crashes caused by distracted drivers; play it safe and don’t become a statistic.
What other tips can you share for safe travels with pets this holiday season? I’d love for you to leave a comment below!
*Psst! This post contains affiliate links, which means if you click on the links and make a purchase, we may make a small commission at no additional cost to you. Of course you are not obligated to use our links to make your purchase but when you do, you get something super duper awesome, and we make a little pocket change. Everybody wins!