Is it just me, or does time seem to be flying by at break-neck speed? I mean, it seems like just yesterday we were doing the Pet Blogger Challenge for 2015, and now here we are in a brand new year doing a brand new challenge for 2016. Wow! I hate to sound like a cliche, but seriously, where does the time go?
For the next 3 days, our friends at Go Pet Friendly are inviting you to link up for the 6th annual Pet Blogger Challenge, which you can do at the end of this post. If this is your first visit to our little blog, we want to thank you for stopping by! Curl up with your furry friend and get comfy, and take a look at our answers to this year’s challenge!
1. How long have you been blogging? And, for anyone stopping by for the first time, please give us a quick description of what your blog is about.
The Lazy Pit Bull blog was born almost 4 years ago, in January of 2012. The blog is ever changing, but our primary goal is still to promote responsible dog ownership and give our readers lots of ideas for living a fabulous life with pets. After all, isn’t that what we all want?
2. What is the one thing that you accomplished during 2015, either on your blog or because of it, that made you most proud?
Last year was all about growth for The Lazy Pit Bull. Although I long ago stopped focusing on numbers, it was encouraging to see that our total site visitors in 2015 more than doubled from 2014! We love knowing that we’re reaching a larger audience that loves to try our doggie recipes and DIY projects, and counts on us to bring good information about living with pets.
3. Which of your blog posts was your favorite this year and why? (Please include a link.)
In 2015, I wrote a series of blog posts “with a canine twist.” These posts were a fun way of sharing some of my favorite products for pet lovers on occasions like St. Patrick’s Day, Mother’s Day, and even Back to School. I hope to continue with this series in 2016, and I’m in the process of planning for Valentine’s Day right now.
4. A common theme from last year’s challenge was that many of us wanted to increase the size of our audiences. Whether or not we intend to monetize our blogs, it seems we’d all like to reach more people. It feels good to know that we’re connecting with others, sharing a laugh or supporting a cause, and it’s motivating to see those numbers grow! What is one thing you’ve done in the past year that has brought more traffic to your blog?
Last year I mentioned that I was surprised that Pinterest had become my number one traffic source. This was surprising to me because in 2014, I spend very little time on Pinterest and yet somehow it became a very important traffic resource for me. Pinterest is an amazing tool for all bloggers, and once I recognized that, I devoted much more time and effort to it in 2015. Pinterest remains my top traffic driver, and you can bet I’m going to continue to focus on it in 2016.
5. Which of your blog posts got the most traffic this year? Why do you think it was so popular? (Please include a link.)
My most popular post of 2015 is consistently the most popular post on my blog, even though it was written almost 4 years ago when the blog was less than a month old! Pit Bull Facts: Do You Know The Truth was viewed more than 70,000 times in 2015, and was followed closely by another Pit Bull-focused post that got over 60,000 views. This tells me that people are really hungry for the truth about Pit Bulls, and I’m glad they see my blog as a reliable resource.
My popular post that was actually written in 2015 was Dognapped: 5 Ways to Prevent Dog Theft. I hope it provided valuable information and prevented some families from losing their dogs.
6. What is one blog that you read religiously – other than your own – and what makes you such a devoted reader? (Please include a link.)
I’m going to be honest and admit that I don’t read any blog religiously. It’s not that I don’t want to; I just don’t have the time. But there are a handful of blogs that I truly love and feel inspired by, such as You Did What With Your Wiener, Pretty Fluffy, Chronicles of Cardigan, and Kol’s Notes. All of these blogs are unique and offer something that’s different from other blogs. I love knowing that what I find there is going to be fresh and interesting every time.
7. What resources do you rely on to enhance your technical, writing, photography, social media, or other skills that improve your blog?
I’m not a great photographer, and I’ve got a less than cooperative subject in Miss Nike, so my photos are usually less than desirable. For that reason, I use a lot of stock photos on my blog, and I love 123rf.com. I also depend heavily on Picmonkey to make those pinnable images that are so popular on Pinterest.
8. What’s your best piece of advice for other bloggers?
I still believe one of the most important things a blogger can do is not compare herself to other bloggers. Go ahead and draw inspiration from others, but don’t feel bad about where your blog is in comparison to theirs because, quite frankly, there’s no comparison. My story is different from your story, and your story is different from every other blogger out there. And that’s a good thing! The world doesn’t need dozens of blogs that are just alike. What the world does need is your unique spin. That’s what is going to attract readers to your site. Show the world your individuality. Nobody has time for a copy-cat.
9. What is your vision for your blog in 2016? Do you have specific goals?
It’s very likely we’ll be adding to our furry family this year, and one of my goals is to document that experience on my blog. I’ve raised many puppies in my lifetime, but I’ve never done so under the bright lights of blogging and social media, so this will be a unique experience. I’m excited to share my next (and most likely final) time as a puppy mom with the world!
10. You have the attention of the pet blogging community – is there one blogging challenge you’d like help with, or one aspect of your blog that you’d like input on?
I have 2 invitations for the pet bloggers who are visiting my website today. First, I’d love for you to join the Pet Blogger Support Group, a Facebook mastermind group that I started 2 years ago. You guys, this is seriously the best pet blogger group on Facebook. They are supportive, kind, and knowledgable. Whatever help you need for your blog, you want this bunch of bloggers in your corner.
Second, just yesterday we kicked off our photography challenge for 2016. It’s called The Pet Blogger Bloopers Challenge, and you can learn more about it RIGHT HERE. This is a monthly challenge, and I think it’s going to be a ton of fun. I’d love for you to join us by linking up! This month’s blog hop will remain open through next Thursday, January 14th, and the next one will kick off on Friday, February 12th.
Thanks for stopping by The Lazy Pit Bull today! Will you leave a comment to let us know you were here? We’d love to say hi!